Monday, June 7, 2010

Birthday Month

June first designated the first day of what I fondly call birthday month. Because I don't just want one day, I want 30! I'm still trying to convince Jackson that I should get one gift for every day, but he's not buying it. But June is just not about me. It's also the birth month of one of the dearest people I know. And while today is not her birthday (June 3rd was), I am technically not late, because it is birthday month.
This sweet girl is one of the best friends a girl could ask for. She has helped me move more times then any one person should (including a trip to Philadelphia and back), laughed with me, cried with me, put up with me on very long road trips, taken care of me when I was sick, helped me justify the purchase of several coach purses, encouraged me, stood up for me, prayed for me, and stood by me on the happiest day of my life. She has a servant's heart and is an excellent, compassionate nurse.
Several years ago I was in school full-time getting a Masters degree while also working full-time as a transport nurse in the NICU. I was in the middle of completing 620 clinical hours at the hospital. Translation: I was exhausted and spent an average of 5-6 days in the NICU and slept at the hospital 4-5 nights a week. I would head home for a quick change of clothes or to study and then head right back to the hospital. Needless to day, my house was a mess. Laundry had piled up and I didn't have the time or energy to clean. It was overwhelming and discouraging (especially to a clean freak like myself). One Saturday I got home after working a long shift to find Jenn at my house. She had cleaned everything from top to bottom, and had done all of my laundry. On her day off. On a Saturday. I was amazed and couldn't do anything but cry. To this day, I think that act of selflessness and kindness has been the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. She demonstrated the love of God to me in a real and tangible way. I can only pray that I will be as good of a friend as she has been to me, and that I will use her example as a motivation to show God's amazing love to others.









Happy Birthday Jenn. Here's to the best year ever!
"A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity" Proverbs 17:17

No comments:

Post a Comment